Making the NX Client portable

NX is great. I’m deeply in love with it. Sometimes it’s acting like a real jerk, though. The NX Web Companion is installing a lot of crap into the active user’s profile. The NX client writes stuff in the active user’s profile. Both isn’t really convenient for me.

I prefer to have all my settings with me on a USB thumbdrive. So, in the spirit of PortableApps I’ll show you how to simply turn NX into a portable application.

First thing to do is installing NX client on a machine, if you have installed already – that’s fine. Copy the entire program folder to a new directory structure like NxClientPortable\App (I’ll follow the PortableApps schema here). In NxClientPortable create a new directory named “Data” and a batch file with the following contents:

@echo off
set USERPROFILE=%CD%\Data

App\nxclient.exe %*

reg delete /f /va "HKCU\Software\Cygnus Solutions"
reg delete /f /va "HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions"

That’s it. Start the batch file and you’ll be fine. No need for installations, no files in some stranger’s profile. Everything goes back to your thumbdrive neatly.

This example also demonstrates why batch still isn’t dead: The USERPROFILE variable will be changed just within the scope of our batch file, all other applications will still use the path specified in the “global” instance of the variable.

About Tsukasa

The fool's herald.
This entry was posted in Blog and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Making the NX Client portable

1. joshinATL says:

awesome! i’ve been looking for a tip on how to do this!

2. Pingback: Recent Links Tagged With "portableapps" - JabberTags

3. Paulo says:

Well done! That’s a very good tip.

[quote comment=””][…] public links >> portableapps

Making the NX Client portable Saved by Meskarune on Sat 27-9-2008

PortableApps.com – portable freeware apps set Saved by […][/quote]

4. Sysadmn says:

Don’t make the mistake I did and add a space at the end of the “\Data”. Nxclient will happily try to create files such as
    “..\Data \Xauthority” and fail.

5. de_ramon says:

[quote comment=””][…] public links >> portableapps

Making the NX Client portable Saved by Meskarune on Sat 27-9-2008

PortableApps.com – portable freeware apps set Saved by […][/quote]

6. de_ramon says:

[quote comment=””][…] public links >> portableapps Making the NX Client portable Saved by Meskarune on Sat 27-9-2008 PortableApps.com – portable freeware apps set Saved by […][/quote]

7. de_ramon says:

Nice, just tested it. How can I add a menu entry to portableapps, too?
    cu,
    Ralf

8. enigma says:

Great tutorial. Just what I was looking for and it works perfectly.

Thanks.

9. Hamish says:

I normally never write replies on these websites but I was so happy with how this worked I just had to reply. Thank you. A lot.

10. chico says:

doesnt work anymore “cannot find configuration file \par”

11. chico says:

ok it works , wasnt working because i wrote it with that damn wordpad